Scatches and Sight

John has had a vision disturbance for sometime (2 – 3 weeks) which he initially thought was some kind of retina burn or headache-less migraine symptom. When he went to the doctor yesterday, the doctor sent him straight over to the emergency ward at the Sydney Eye Hospital. Apparently there is a pus-filled thing at the back of his retina which is putting pressure on his optical nerve and causing partial blindness (peripheral vision) in his right eye. They aren’t really sure what the cause is, but the specialists think he might have something called cat scratch disease. Of course, they are doing tests to eliminate other possibliities as well.

If it is cat scratch disease, it means that one of the cats has scratched him (somewhere on his body, not on his eye) at some point, some bacteria has entered his bloodstream and caused an infection of the retina. .

Pretty scary stuff.

He spent all yesterday afternoon and pretty much all of today in there having tests and having retina photographs taken. He’s also on some heavy-duty antibiotics at double the usual dose. They want him back there next Thursday for more tests and on Friday for an MRI scan. The bigwig specialist said that he should prepare himself that there is a 10% chance that his sight will be permanently affected. On the bright side, that’s a 90% chance that it will return to normal.

He’s feeling pretty stressed out at the moment, and that’s not being helped any by the side effects of the anti-biotics.

I guess the moral of the story is always disinfect any cat scratches you receive.

And don’t torment the cats!

Advertisements

0 Responses to “Scatches and Sight”



  1. Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s




Fatadelic

 

Archives

January 2004
M T W T F S S
« Dec   Feb »
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728293031  

Reading



Click to view my Personality Profile page

RSS FA Links Feed

  • An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.

RSS Notes from the Fatosphere

  • An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.

RSS Fat Liberation

  • An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.

Copyright

All content on this site is Copyright
© 2002 - 2010
by Fatadelic.
All rights reserved.




Site Meter

%d bloggers like this: